Would you believe that only 10% of senior physicians report any formal training on how to effectively break bad news to a patient or family member? After a defining personal experience, Dr. Orsini has spent 20 years developing and crafting the training techniques used in the Breaking Bad News program. Many participants consider the experience “life-changing” and have a significant improvement in their confidence and decreased anxiety when performing this difficult task.
The Orsini Way Programs Now Available
Studies have shown that how patients hear bad news can affect them for decades, yet most physicians have never been trained properly. In fact, physicians associate the act of breaking bad news to patients and families with fear and anxiety. The Breaking Bad News program teaches proven communication methods that help physicians deliver the news in the most effective and compassionate manner. Using the BBN P.R.O.G.R.A.M ® roadmap, clinicians learn in a safe and private environment in as little as one hour. Unlike any other program, the Breaking Bad News Program utilizes experiential learning with professional actors. Unscripted cases, written specifically for your team help the participants see their behaviors while a team of trainers give immediate feedback. The training has been called “life-changing” because it’s real and it works. This program is ideal for both resident and senior physicians. Even your most remote team member can be trained as virtual Breaking Bad News sessions are now available.
Breaking Bad News The Program
- 96% of participants reported feeling anxious about breaking bad news to patients and their families
- 96% of participants felt that this program prepared them to break bad news in the future
- 98% of participants felt the improvisational role-play felt realistic
- 94% of participants felt that the review session was instrumental in the training process
- Based on answers given to each BBN program participant via pre and post program survey
Topics covered in this course include:
- History of Breaking Bad News in Medicine?
- The 3 goals of Breaking Bad News
- Principles of using the BBN P.R.O.G.R.A.M.®
- How to convey compassion to your patients?
- Mastering verbal and non-verbal techniques
- How to help our patients when they need us the most?
- Senior Physicians
- Resident Physicians
- First Responders
We have experience adapting this
course for all types of attendees.